What is Chiropractic?
Chiropractic is a straight forward method of detecting dysfunction and making adjustments in these areas to improve the function of the animals’ musculoskeletal system, and through this process help the nervous system to work more efficiently. The purpose of chiropractic care is to rebalance the body to relieve pain and discomfort, and increase mobility.
Dysfunction in horses can be caused by many things including; falls, trips, an injury, getting cast, poorly fitting tack, dental issues, foot balance, the rider or even the horses’ conformation. In dogs causes of dysfunction can include stumbles, falls, rough play and the dogs’ conformation.
Potential indicators for care in different animals:
- Reduced performance
- Resistance to being ridden
- “Cold Backed”
- Negative changes in behaviour or attitude – more difficult to handle, biting when saddle put on, refusing to jump etc.
- Abnormal gait, shortened stride or lameness
- Inability or difficulty in taking a specific lead
- Inability or difficulty to collect
- Pain and stiffness when moving or being touched
- Difficulty flexing at poll
- Changes in posture
- Pain when being touched, pet or lifted
- Reluctance or difficulty when climbing stairs or jumping
- Difficulty when getting up after lying down
- Negative changes in attitude or behaviour
- Altered sitting (“Puppy Sitting”)
- Changes in eating or defecating
- Constantly licking or chewing paws
- Lameness or changes in gait
- Changes in performance
- Lying on one side
Please note Victoria is a Chiropractor and not a veterinarian, your animals primary healthcare belongs to the veterinarian and therefore we request you consult them prior to treatment to make sure they are happy for your animal to receive Chiropractic treatment.